Council Study Requests Committee on Tutorials

By Richard N. Levy

The Student Council Report on Tutorial, in preparation for over a year, will be released publicly for the first time at the Student Council meeting tonight. This study advocates the establishment of an interdepartmental Faculty Committee on Tutorial to provide "coherent overall direction" for the Tutorial program.

This committee would include the Senior Tutors and the Chairmen of the several Boards of Tutors in addition to an overall committee, the report, which considers tutorial "the best part of a Harvard education," calls for "Tutorial for all" and a general overhaul of the upper-class advising program.

The twenty-two-page report was prepared by a committee headed by Gordon R. Sugarman '58, and will be presented to Dean Bundy next week, after the Council has considered and discussed it. The report will be considered by the Committee on Educational Policy as part of its investigation of the Tutorial program.

To secure a universal tutorial plan, the report asks for "a substantial increase in Tutorial fund." It urges that more senior Faculty members be given tutorial assignments, and that tutorial groups be cut to three or four members, with individual tutorial meetings every other week.

On the subject of the advising program, the report is emphatic. "Student opinion seems unanimous on its inadequacy," it states, urging that tutors become more like advisers and that non-tutored students be assigned permanent advisers after their freshman year.

The study also includes criticism of the Administration for indicating "some lack of concern" for the program, revealed in grading systems.

The report, however, contains no specific discussion of non-Honors Tutorial, which is being discussed in the Committee on Educational Policy.

The Student Council was handicapped in its study because only three per cent of the undergraduate body is represented in the committee's polls.