National Figures Attend Program Kick-Off Dinner

By Andrew W. Bingham

WASHINGTON, D. C., Nov. 12 (Special)--Dean Bundy and David Rockefeller '36 were the principal speakers here tonight at an impressive kickoff dinner for the Program for Harvard College in the Washington area.

The goal for the District is nearly $3 million, which will be raised from some 2,000 graduates in the area.

This amount becomes nearly astronomical when compared with the current United Givers Fund here. The UGF, supporting well over 100 charitable organizations, hopes to raise only $7 million from 500,000 people.

Last night's dinner was held in the plush Sheraton-Park Hotel. There were more than 600 people present, including most of the captains and workers who will actively raise the money.

The list of those present was almost a Washington Who's Who. It included Brig. General Robert Cutler '16, Special Assistant to the President and toastmaster for the occasion; C. Douglas Dillon '31, Undersecretary of State and chairman of the Program; Secretary of Defense Neil McElroy '25; Percival F. Brundage '14, Director, Bureau of the Budget; and many others.

Rockefeller, vice-chairman of the Program and a member of the Board of Overseers, told his audience that Harvard was "a pace-setter" and "needs large-scale financial help" to do its job in the future.

Bundy was more to the point. After discussing Harvard's educational opportunities and responsibilities, he bluntly told his listeners:

"How much should you give?...Think about it, take some time out, double it..and both you and the College will feel right about it."

Campaign directors hope to have most of the money raised from this area by next June. They have already received $240,000. The goal has been broken down into the following three categories:

1. Advance gifts--amounts over $10,000--$2,500,000.

2. Special gifts--amounts over $1,000--$405,000.

3. General canvass--amounts less than $1,000--the more modest sum of $80,400