Eisenhower, Dulles Speak for Strong Steps to Meet Threats Posed by Russian War Power

By The ASSOCIATED Press

OKLAHOMA CITY, Nov. 13--President Eisenhower, cautioning that "there is danger ahead for free men everywhere," told the nation tonight America must spend substantially more money on weapons of the future to meet Russia's challenge.

In a nationwide TV-radio address, the President recalled the days of Hitler and declared not enough people took the Nazi dictator at his word. "We shall not make that mistake again," Eisenhower said.

Besides cautioning that it will be necessary to spend more money than in the past on the missile and satellite programs, Eisenhower called for a stepped-up education program to provide for training of more scientists.

Pressure May Require "Freedom's Sacrifice"

WASHINGTON, Nov. 13--Secretary of State Dulles said today the American people "may have to give up some small marginal freedoms" to cope with the Soviet world pressures. He indicated these freedoms were connected with forming an international front against hostile communism and making financial sacrifices to keep the West strong.

"But the essential thing is whether we can retain the great bulk of our freedoms and at the same time beat back this great monolithic structure," Dulles said. "I have no doubt it can be done," he concluded.

Senator Calls for Sea Platforms

PARIS, Nov. 13--Senator Jackson (D-Wash.) suggested today that submerged or floating platforms sprinkled in the seas as nuclear rocket bases could be NATO's answer to Soviet missiles.

Jackson expounded on his revolutionary idea at a news conference after U.S. Admiral Jerauld Wright, NATO naval commander, declared all NATO nations should have atomic submarines.