Minority Rights Society Asks Wang to Speak Here

Chances are increasing that David R. Wang, self-styled disciple of segregationist John Kasper, will speak at Harvard.

The Executive Committee of the Harvard Society for Minority Rights voted unanimously yesterday to invite Wang here for some date early in December. The Dartmouth-educated racist has expressed a desire to organize White Citizens Councils at all the Ivy League colleges.

The Society offered as its reason for inviting Wang here "the edification of the student body." At the same time, Harvard Liberal Union President Herbert E. Milstein '58, who attended the HSMR meeting, announced that he plans an executive session of his organization tonight to consider co-sponsoring the program.

Although some members of the HSMR questioned whether Wang would accept a bid from an organization which is connected with the NAACP, the segregationist has previously stated that he would like to debate with a member of that group.

HSMR President Confident

John M. Snygg '59, president of the society, said that he was "fairly certain" that Wang would accept his organization's offer.

Tentative plans call for a member of the Executive Committee of the New England branch of the NAACP to present the other side of the question. The HSMC indicated that the audience will have extensive opportunity to question the speakers.

Milstein said that the HLU will try to find a "neutral moderator" if it accepts co-sponsorship. The HLU president emphasized the need for impartiality in the discussion.

Wang could not be reached at his New York office for comment on the invitation. However, Snygg noted that "Wang's willingness to speak at other colleges indicates that he would like to come to Harvard."

In related developments, the CRIMSON learned that a New England branch of the B'nai B'rith Anti-Defamation League is making a thorough study of Wang's activities. Isidore Zack, an ADL staff member, said that the League is planning to make a statment on Wang's visit sometime next week.