Charles Caldwell Dies; Tigers Lose Great Coach

Charles W. Caldwell, Jr., Princeton University football coach since 1945 and before that one of Princeton's finest all-around athletes, died of cancer yesterday.

A native of Ristol, Tennessee, Caldwell graduated from Princeton in 1925 after winning seven varsity letters in football, baseball, and track, and serving as president of his class. He returned as head football coach in 1945 after 17 years at Williams and led the Tiger teams to six straight Big Three championships.

Known as a proponent--perhaps the originator--of modern single wing football, Caldwell also was highly regarded as a teacher who believed that football should be secondary to education. His varied attack, stemming from the old, dull single wing style, helped make stars out of players whose physical equipment was limited. It also won games.

In 1950, Caldwell was voted "Coach of the Year" by members of the American Football Coaches Association, and in 1952 received the Touchdown Club of New York award for "meritorious service and outstanding contributions to football.

Robert F. Goheen, President of Princeton, said that "Mr. Caldwell's death has come as a blow to the entire Princeton community."