Investigators Learn 'IRBM' Set For Operational Production Now; MacMillan to Talk With Gaillard

By The ASSOCIATED Press

Word that intermediate-range weapons are ready for the production line came out today in the House investigation of the missile program. Representative Mahon (D-Tex.) said top-level decisions will be forthcoming soon--possibly this week--to resolve Pentagon policy differences and to go into high gear operational production of the intermediate-range ballistic missile--IRBM.

Simultaneously, the Defense Department announced plans to build a 65-million-dollar missile site near Cheyenne, Wyo, apparently to launch 5000-mile American intercontinental ballistic missiles when such devices are ready. Dr. John Hagen, director of Project Vanguard, also told reporters that his scientists expect to put a sin-inch test satellite into orbit next month, and to follow it with a fully instrumented, 20-inch sphere in March. Preliminary tests have been successful, Hagen said. "All we have to do now is to set it up and light the fuse," he stated.

MacMillan to Smooth Anglo-French Relations

LONDON, Nov. 21--Prime Minister MacMillan announced today he will go to Paris Monday to see Premier Felix Gaillard. Plainly his mission will be to smooth ruffled British-French relations. MacMillan told the House of Commons he and Gaillard will discuss the Tunisian arms mixup and next month's summit meeting of NATO powers.

Diplomatic sources in London said Gaillard is expected to press for two guarantees from Macmillan:

1. That there will be no repetition of British and American arms shipments to Tunisia.

2. That France and other European countries will not be assigned a secondary role in NATO in plans to tighten coordination in the alliance.