Student Council Lacks Quorum

The Student Council postponed its meeting last night because enough members could not be present to form a voting quorum. The cancellation was made "by mutual consent" because of hour examinations.

A quorum, two thirds of the membership, is necessary to pass either of the two main items on the agenda, which are constitutional amendments. One of the two, a motion to change the present proportional representation balloting system, also requires sanction by two-thirds of the College in a referendum.

The motion attempts to replace the present voting system by a "one-for-one" system, which would give the voter one vote for each open position. By the present method, a student rates his choices by number, which hinders and limits the counting process.

The second motion would create two NSA representatives, who would be voting members of the Council, and be chosen by an all school election.

At least one of the members was dissatisfied by the postponement. George C. Pontikes '58 said "I am not happy about this. We have two or three constitutional amendments on the agenda, and the postponement will make next week's agenda longer."

Larry Johnson '58, Council president, said that he would try to hold a meeting next Monday, but he feared that too many members would be out of town over the three-day weekend.