Au Secours

In his second day as French Premier, Felix Gaillard continues to face some disturbing problems. France has been without a government for thirty-six days, during which time pithead coal prices have risen 6.5 per cent, the import tax has risen 20 per cent, and the franc's value has fallen 20 per cent. To combat the falling franc and the rising Algerian, fresh and dynamic leadership is needed. If the following proposals to M. Gaillard are not dynamic, they are, at least, original.

Instead of borrowing from the United States and West Germany, as France will undoubtedly have to do to fight inflation, she might well loan herself out--on a short term perhaps--to neighboring countries. West Germany will get French coal eventually--why not annex eastern France to Germany directly? Besides, coal is dirty, and nobody else seems to want it. England, on the other hand, has wanted western France for centuries; there is little reason why she shouldn't have a crack at it now. With a little American financing the British might not do too badly in administering the area.

The Riviera remains to be rented out, but the problem isn't insurmountable. Prospective tenants include Italy, who would make good use of the southern coast. Monaco might well be thrown in as a bargain, Princess Grace could then call herself an Italian movie star--in spirit if not in body.

To appease traditionalists, the French would retain Paris, operating it like the Free City of Danzig. A further incentive might be to append the name "French" to the new political regions, as "German-French Coal-Mining District" or "Italian-French Riveria," and require that at least one Frenchman participate on the executive board of the new governments.

The wine country in southern France is a special case. The Italians would be allowed to develop the vineyards, but only on the condition that they export the wine to Algeria. The Algerians, whom nobody wants to annex, would have wine and freedom. They could use both.