Cadets Protest 'Pressure Tactics' Of Caisson Club Enrollment Drive

Colonel Denies Pressure

A letter sent to Army ROTC cadets reminding them of their "obligation" to join the Caisson Club has caused angry comment by several cadets who feel that they are being forced to join an extracurricular activity which is officially completely voluntary.

"It's not the three dollars that I object to," argued one cadet, "but it's the idea that this department is pressuring you into joining an extracurricular activity--and if you don't, it will be reflected in the department's attitude toward you."

Col. Devere Armstrong, head of the AROTC unit, denied that any pressure had been exerted. "As commissioned officers," he said, "cadets will be expected to join officers' clubs. We feel that the Caisson Club is a form of training for this side of military life. Anyone who joins ROTC is the recipient of many advantages paid for by the government, and accepts therewith a moral obligation to support his unit. However, I have not myself participated in any pressure on any cadet--as far as I'm concerned there is no pressure."

Despite this denial, Cadet Captain Woodhouse was reported to have told C Battery at ROTC drill that "the Colonel is 'interested' in those individuals who haven't joined."

The letter urging cadets to join, which was postpaid by the Army, was signed by Joseph Speidel '59, treasurer of the Caisson Club. "All I'm trying to do is make it easy for them to pay," Speidel said.

Malcolm Strickler, president of the club, stated that according to both University and military regulations, membership is not compulsory. "Naturally," he said, "we 'pressure' cadets to join just as the Student Council 'pressures' students to join. Of course, we have better means of applying pressure."

"Each year, though, a few cadets refuse to join," he added, admitting that "their refusal is noted by the Department." Another source commented, "If someone puts up a strong enough resistance, he can get out of joining the club."