Council to Recommend Eased PT Requirements

Special reduction of freshman PT credits passed its initial test in the Student Council last night, as the group voted to accept the report of a special committee investigating Physical Training for working freshmen.

The report endorses reduction of PT credits for all freshmen working nine or more hours a week. In recommending this reduction, the report stressed that working students often hold scholarships subject to good academic standing, and that PT is an unnecessary expenditure of needed time.

According to Lewis B. Oliver Jr, '61, co-author of the report, the recommendation to reduce PT requirements represents "an attempt to reconcile the views of two groups--the Student Employment Office and the Department of Physical Training."

Four Preferred Charities

After extensive debate, the Council also voted to list four "preferred" charities in the annual Combined Charities appeal. A sub-committee headed by Theodore D. Moskowitz '58 submitted a list of five potential charities, four of which were accepted by the Council.

Phillips Brooks House, the United Fund, United Negro Service and Scholarship Fund, and UNESCO were voted preference. However, the group rejected an appeal, 8 to 5, for the Salzburg Seminar.

The Council also rejected four charitable organizations suggested by members. A motion to recommend World University Service as a preferred charity was defeated, 7 to 4.

Boys' Town, the National Council of Christians and Jews, and the American Friends Service Committee were similarly rejected after extensive debate.

Budget Set

The Council approved a budget of $700 to publicize the charity drive through advertisements, posters, and broadcast time. However, the size of the budget aroused criticism of the CRIMSON, as Council members protested the high cost of advertising.

In addition, the Council passed a motion by Carl F. Sloane '58 to expend funds presently allocated for exchange students to use within the College itself to foster better relations between foreign students and undergraduates. "We thus could better utilize the foreign students we have on campus," Sloane stated.