Strike

Brass Tacks

By Robert H. Sand

If you want to bust a strike boys, I'll tell you what to do. Go down to New York City (it's a wonderful town) where the straw boss is the city and the man in the shiny white domed building. If you go down to the subways and keep the trains from stopping, they'll give you a twentyfive per cent bonus and if you work a little longer they'll give you time and a half. If you keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the track, you can forget the men who're walking back and forth above you asking for a decent union and a decent break. And if you really like the money and care a lot for the City, they'll give you a place to sleep and some food to eat right down in the subway, so you can keep your eye off the man who's walking back and forth upstairs, striking for his union.

And if you want to bust the strike and break the men who tried it, you can stick with the job and get protected by Mike Quill's union. And the motormen and conductors who want their own union and don't like Quill's way of moving can just keep walking with their Union, because the law says they have no right to walk out on the city.

For of course they can't strike against the city or the state because that's rebellion, which is almost a revolution. They're against law and order and violating the law. Of course the Democrats tried to repeal that law a while ago, but they like it fine right now. So you can go to New York City and watch the government bust a strike because anyone who works for the government or a public commission just has no right to strike. The public interest must be served. The welfare of the state comes first. So the City will break the strike with the law and with the bonus. And you can watch the state bust a strike, and we haven't seen that in a long time.