School of Health To Receive Aid For Development

Rockefeller Foundation Gift For Radiobiology Research

The Rockefeller Foundation announced yesterday that it will give the Harvard School of Public Health $500,000 over a ten year period for the expansion of research and teaching in the health hazards of nuclear radiation.

The School is currently concerned with the problems of public radiation exposures from nuclear power and from fissionable materials. The new grant will allow the development of additional instruction facilities for physicians, engineers, and other public health specialists.

In addition, greater effort will be directed to research on animals exposed to radioactive materials in their air, water, or food.

John C. Snyder, Dean of the School of Public Health, said that studies in radiation measurement and radiological hygiene began in 1940 and were expanded in 1947 under a research contract with the Atomic Energy Commission.

Extensive Cyclotron Facilities

In this program the School has had access to cyclotron facilities at Harvard, various local installations and the Brookhaven National Laboratory of the A.E.C.

This grant will enable the school to make new appointments to the Faculty and to establish liaison with other departments of the university concerned with radiation and radiobiology.

The Rockefeller Foundation is also supporting similar programs of equal grants at Johns Hopkins University and at the University of Pittsburgh.