Deans May Act To Halt 'Guide's' COD Collections

Ballard Says Transactions Unauthorized by University

Representatives of the "Shoppers' Guide" who collect money from undergraduates in the dormitories and Houses are violating University regulations which prohibits soliciting, Dean Ballard said yesterday.

Students who purchase the booklets have been receiving them C.O.D. from messengers of the organization. While terming this action "definitely in violation" of existing regulations, the Dean stated that no action could be taken since the Administration did not know the names of the people behind the operation.

A check of the merchants involved in the promotion revealed that they also knew nothing about the sponsors. Responsibility for the project was finally traced to an individual named William Fineberg.

Merchants who are participating in the advertising campaign reported heavy response to the ticket booklet idea. One local businessman commented that the reaction was "perhaps more than we want," but did not know who had contacted his firm. "We just signed something," he said. "It was all very sloppy."

The stores which accepted the plan contracted to redeem 1,000 tickets. One merchant noted that he had already redeemed over 300 and would turn people away when he reached the agreed amount. Another claimed that the telephone talk "misrepresented" the value of the coupons, but promised that his offer would be everything he had claimed it to be.