Dulles Starts Talks With Gaillard To Heal Franco-American Split; Indonesia Stops Seizure of Assets

By The ASSOCIATED Press

PARIS, Dec. 13--Secretary of State Dulles arrived today for the NATO summit talks and immediately faced a critical problem of the Western Alliance--France's relations with North Africa.

As the advance agent for President Eisenhower, who arrives tomorrow, Dulles met with French Premier Felix Gaillard, French Foreign Minister Christian Pineau, British Foreign Secretary Selwyn Lloyd, and NATO's secretary general, Paul-Henri Speak.

On the eve of Eisenhower's new drive to restore a unity of purpose among the Allies, Dulles heard Gaillard state his price-support for France's attempt to maintain its influence in troubled North Africa.

French sources said Gaillard and Pineau led off with a demand for a coordinated world policy among NATO members, extending beyond the strict geographical area covered by the treaty.

Another Allied spat, this one involving Britain and the United States, rose to the surface with a report that Britain has harnessed the awesome power of the hydrogen bomb, but that lack of U.S. approval has prevented London from making an official announcement.

Indonesia Halts Dutch Property Seizure

JAKARTA, Indonesia, Dec. 13--Indonesia's army chief ordered a halt tonight to the seizure of Dutch businesses and threatened severe punishment if his orders were disobeyed. The effect of his decree remained to be seen.

The action of Maj. Gen. Abdul Haris Nasutin, army chief of staff, was announced after President Sukarno, smiling but tense, made a personal appearance to disprove reports that he had been ousted by a triumvirate and made a prisoner of the army.

Earlier, it had been announced that the 56-year-old Sukarno would leave the country within a week to recuperate from mental and physical exhaustion.

Premier Djuanda, a Socialist non-party man, asked Parliament to swear in Speaker Sartono, a 56-year-old moderate Nationalist, as acting president, but a government spokesman indicated the Premier and General Nasutin actually will run things.