Quintet Tops Northeastern, Sets New Scoring Record

Repetto Nets 22 as Team Extends Win Streak To Six Against Non-Ivy League Opposition

By Mark L. Krupnick

Everyone got into the act last night as the Crimson varsity basketball team smashed Northeastern, 102 to 71, to extend its undefeated skein to six and to establish a new team scoring record. The team opens its Ivy League season on Jan. 6.

Last night's point total replaced the old record of 101 set against Boston College last year.

Bob Repetto played his best game of the year for the varsity, connecting on ten of 18 field goal attempts, and tallying a total of 22 points on push and jump shots from around the keyhole. Repetto's performance was especially impressive since he played only half of the second period.

Monk Muncaster scored on a tap-in at the 50-second mark of the first half, and the varsity never was challenged thereafter. George Harrington hit on a long set, Repetto lofted a 20-foot one-hander, and two minutes passed before Bill Colby scored on a corner jump shot to start the Husky scoring.

After allowing Colby two easy goals in the first five minutes, the Crimson zone defense tightened up and limited the burly Northeastern forwards to four markers for the rest of the game.

Northeastern's man-to-man defense could not contain the Crimson as cutters repeatedly broke loose under the boards for easy one-handers and lay-ups. When the Huskies tried to lay back to frustrate the driving offense, George Harrington lofted long sets to reopen the keyhole area. Playing his usual brilliant game, Harrington also notched 19 points and assisted in several more.

Crimson Dominates Rebounding

After a slow start, varsity center Bryant Danner and Captain Dick Woolston gained control of the boards, and dominated the rebounding until they were removed in the last half. Griff McClellan, while lacking Danner's finesse, used his height to maintain the varsity's rebounding advantage.

The Crimson also maintained its better than 50 per cent shooting average, connecting on 46 of 89 attempts. In scoring his 17 markers, Danner hit for a fantastic 73 per cent. Muncaster scored most of his 20 points on fakes and tap-ins under the boards, averaging an even 50 per cent of his attempts.

In contrast to the Crimson's 52 per cent accuracy from the floor, the Huskies could manage only 31 per cent, and were limited to 47 shots, compared to the varsity's 89. Forward Dick Stewart, with 24 markers, and Mike Dvorchak, with 18, were the only stars for the losers.

The Crimson bench was especially impressive in the victory. Sophomore guard Mike Donohue tallied ten markers in the nine minutes he played, scoring mostly on steals and resulting fast breaks. Donohue handled the ball well on offense, and on defense his ball-hawking set up several driving layups in the last few minutes.

To achieve the six-game winning streak, the Varsity has rolled over the University of Massachusetts, Bowdoin, Middlebury, Wesleyan, and M.I.T. Bowdoin held the rampaging Crimson five to 69 points, but the Varsity exceeded 81 points in all the other victories.

In the preliminary game, Bill Richling, with 26 points, and Greg Loser, with 21, led the Yardling five to a 90-72 rout over the Northeastern freshmen. Bob Bowditch, the freshman high scorer, also tallied 19 for the victors.