Bundy Urges No Drop In Admissions Numbers

Increased Pressure Precludes Reduction

By Adam Clymer

Dean Bundy insisted yesterday that the size of the incoming class should not be reduced.

Bundy said he saw no need for reduction in the size of the class. He refused to commit himself on the chances for a larger class next year, however, saying that "the size of the class is not decided in December."

Recently both Elliott, Perkins '23, Master of Lowell House, and Wilbur J. Bender '27, dean of Admissions, have proposed limiting the size of the freshman class to a number that the College can house. This year 95 freshmen have been forced to commute because rooms were not available in the College.

"Painful Choices"

Bundy said, "I yield to no one in the strength of my advocacy of the residential college," but went on to say that he thought current and increasing pressures for college admission precluded any reduction in the size of the class. He regarded the decision to have forced commuters as one of a "series of painful choices." He said that the College had decided that while living in is desirable, it would be unreasonable to deprive forced commuters of some of the benefits of a Harvard education by rejecting them outright.

The dean suggested that the forced commuter problem might be alleviated by permitting some juniors and seniors who want to move out to do so, and thereby providing room for forced commuters who want to live in.

Bundy did not rule out the possibility of a larger class next year, either. When the University takes title to a Prescott Street apartment house shortly, it will have space that could house about 50 more students. The building could probably be renovated by next September if the University wished. Bundy had nothing to say on these possiblities.