Pentagon Will Establish Agency To Direct New Weapons Study; New Launching Attempt Planned

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON--A new top-level "Advance Research Projects Agency"--to direct study and eventual creation of such things as space platforms and weapons still undreamed of by the armed forces--will be set up in the Pentagon before the end of this month.

The Advance Research Projects Agency will be headed by a civilian, still to be selected. It will be an actual operating military agency, to put into effect some of the broad guidelines suggested by the newly established office of special assistant to the President for science and technology, headed by James R. Killian Jr.

New Satellite Effort Today

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Another effort to launch the Vanguard rocket will be made today and the deputy director of the project said last night there is "a good chance" that it will boost the American "moon" into orbit around the world. The time of launching was not announced as of last night.

French Cabinet Crisis

PARIS--Premier Felix Gaillard's month-old Cabinet teetered all day yesterday under the threat of widespread resignations.

Socialist ministers threatened to pull out of the coalition Cabinet charging the government was victimizing the workers. They were up in arms over Gaillard's austerity plan to slash food subsidies and thus send up retail prices. The Premier put the plan forward in a move to save 90 billion francs (214 million dollars) for the government.