Indian Group Will Examine U.S. Schools

Three Will Review Gen Ed Plan Here

Thirty prominent educators from India will arrive in the United States on Feb. 17 for a study of general education in this country. Three of the Indian university officials will spend a good part of the spring term at Harvard.

Stephen R. Graubard, Executive Secretary to the Committee on General Education, said that the Indians will arrive at the University in early March. "They will keep in close touch with the faculty, attend classes, and be shown exactly what we are doing in general education." he added.

The educators arrive in Washington, D.C., and will spend ten days meeting officials in the capital before splitting up into small groups to visit various American universities. Their trip is sponsored by the U.S. State Department, under the International Educational Exchange Program, and is financed from payments by the Government of India on a 1951 American wheat loan.

The group includes many chancellors, vice-chancellors, and deans of faculties. Others are of professorial rank. It is not yet known which of the Indian educators will be at Harvard.

Graubard said that the visit is a result of the recommendations of a "similar but smaller team which made an exploratory trip last year." He explained that last year's group was able to observe General Education classes at Harvard for only four days.

"The educators feel that Indian education is too specialized," Graubard stated. The group that visited last year reported that the basic concepts of general education in American universities could well be adapted for use in India.

The United States will send representatives of the host institutions for a return visit to India. "Although we expect to send one such representative from the University," Graubard said, "he has not yet been named. The faculty member chosen will probably be on leave for a full academic term."