Seven Plus One m

Lebensraum. To a great extent that's what the new House will mean. Fewer strained feelings per square foot and an escape from the barbarism of bunk beds.

An eighth House will probably also mean an increase in enrollment, which eventually may neutralize its original therapeutic effects, and it will unavoidably mean a split system of housing--a choice between an elaborate old room and a utilitarian, and more private, new one. The differences between the old Houses and the new will spell disparity, one way or the other, in most students' eyes, and may create problems for the Administration which it doesn't yet anticipate.

The new House can't have the entry system, or fireplaces, or private baths. Without the insurance of period design, it may be like a horse-hair sofa today, an object of horror thirty years hence. And it may have the acoustical virtues of a giant tuning fork like that Great Mistake, Harkness Commons. But for all that, we're glad its on the way. Lebensraum.

Recommended Articles

Losing Perspective
I am amazed at times by my capacity for pettiness. Small problems of the day--response papers, midterms, and a dozen
How to Handle Harvard: A Few Simple Rules
Welcome to Harvard. You don't know me, but I'd like to give you some advice before you even step onto
FOR FRESHMEN ONLY
The Freshmen vote on March 1. They will probably finish in one day. They will get their 60 percent quota
Conant's Speech Urges Us to Find "Golden Mean" Twixt Authority and Criticism to Save "Our Way"
The following is the text of President Conant's address delivered before the Southern College Conference at the Peabody Hotel, Memphis,
Parking Plans Collapse As Only 20 Men Apply
Lebensraum for student-owned ears seemed more distant than ever last night as only 20 applicant rallied behind the Student Council's
No Crêpe for You
Not since they named a pastry after Napoleon has anything so delicious seemed so dictatorial. Mouth-watering aromas mix with despotism