7-2 Sabre Decision Helps Fencers Beat Cornell Varsity, 14-13

Only a very good showing in sabre saved the varsity fencing match with Cornell Saturday; the Crimson lost both the foil and epee. But a 7-2 edge in sabre enabled the varsity to eke out the Big Red, 14 to 13.

In fact, since most of the Crimson's strong fencers did not fence well, it is remarkable that the varsity was able to win at all. Even in sabre, where a clean sweep was anticipated, the locals didn't match expectations. Cornell is very strong in epee, and considering this the varsity did fairly well in losing the division only 3 to 6.

Doug Runnels, in sabre, came from behind twice to lead the eevnt with three wins. Dave Silbert also fenced very well as he took three straight bouts. Mitchell Thomas, however, was off his form and managed to win only one of his three.

Peter Boyce won two in foil but dropped the third to a troublesome Big Red southpaw. The lefty also won one from Mike Klapper, but the junior won his other two. Captain Hubert Hocutt's performance was particularly disappointing, as he lost two before Bill Trebilcock replaced him in the last bout.

Recommended Articles

Fencing Places 2nd
All for one, and one for all. The members of the Harvard fencing team symbolically clashed their epees, foils and
Fencing Splits Against Brandeis
For the second straight week, the sabre undercut otherwise sound performances by the Harvard men's and women's fencing teams. But
Fencing Falls At Temple Meet
Epee may be a four-letter word for "fencing sword" in the Sunday crossword, but it is more than that for
Fencers Open With Win Over Trinity; Freshmen Lose
Despite a poor effort in the foil and epee, the Crimson varsity "A" fencing team managed to defeat Trinity College,
Fencers Whip Elis To Assure Fourth Place in Standings
The Crimson fencing team, in its best performance of the season, sewed up fourth place in the Ivy League Saturday
AMONG THE MINORS
Ordinarily not a sanguinary sport, fencing scored its first surgery of the year on its swing southward last weekend, when