Crimson Wrestling Squad Will Meet Slightly Favored Princeton in IAB

By William C. Sigal

Still smarting from its 17 to 11 setback at the hands of Springfield last Wednesday, the varsity wrestling team will attempt to vent its spleen on Princeton, the defending Ivy champion, this afternoon at 2 p.m. on the I. A. B. mat.

Added incentive for the varsity is last year's 33 to 2 drubbing at the hands of the Tigers. In that match, only Bob Gilmor was able to score, drawing with Ed Nell at 167.

Tiger Impressive

This year's Tiger squad is impressive, but not nearly the equal of the awesome powerhouse that ran roughshod through the league last year. Already this season, it has lost to Brown, 15 to 11, and in its first match, it lost to a strong Lehigh team, 22 to 5.

Bill Fortenbaugh at 147, and Captain John Hunt at heavyweight are by far the outstanding wrestlers on the team. Both went undefeated in the league last season, and have looked good so far this year.

Crimson at Full Strength

Coach Bob Pickett will have his Crimson squad at full strength, with the return to action of Paul Striker at 130. Although heavy-weight A1 Culbert is suffering from a shoulder injury, it is not serious enough to keep him out of action.

Dave Skeels, Striker, and Bob Crook hold the key to Crimson success, for the lighter weights have been the varsity's weak spots. In the Springfield meet, the varsity was unable to pick up a win until Joe Noble at 147 gained an 8 to 1 decision.

Lighter Weights

Skeels, whose season record stands at four wins and three losses, will wrestle Dave Moulton at 123. Striker will seek his fourth win as against two losses, when he meets George McLaughlin at 130. Crook, at 137, suffered only his second defeat of the season against Springfield, but should be hard-pressed to chalk up his fifth win against the Tiger's Curt Dohan.

Fortenbaugh should be the toughest opponent that Noble has faced all season, but the Crimson wrestler has improved greatly since being thrown by M. I. T.'s Harris Hyman early in the season. Since then, he has amassed four wins, and only one loss.

The 157 class remains the weakest on the team, having lost in the last five consecutive meets. Jack Eastling, who alternates with King Holmes, will wrestle against another Tiger standout, Mark Miller.

Bob Foster at 167, has never been defeated in collegiate competition, having won seven straight last year as a freshman, and six of seven this year. He drew in his other match. He will go against Dave Callard.

Among Gilmor's six wins have been four pins, the greatest number on the team. He has lost only once, to Cornell's Steve Friedman. He will face Princeton's Brad Foss.

Culbert should give Hunt a battle at heavyweight, although the Tiger star rates the edge on experience. Culbert has wrestled only two matches so far this season, winning one by pin, and losing the decision in the other.