Varsity Six Tops Tufts, 13-1

By Bruce M. Reeves

It was a very awkward hockey game which the varsity sextet won 13 to 1 over Tufts last Saturday at the Icehouse.

Tufts' coach, Charlie Arthur, had admitted last week that he did not really have a hockey team to play the Crimson and last Saturday a crowd of 1100 could not help but agree with him.

Center Bob Cleary turned in a most amazing trick in the first period when he netted three goals in less than a minute and then added a fourth just 59 seconds later. In all, he recorded five goals and two assists.

Ironically, the Jumbos were the first to score in the opening period and held a 1-0 lead until Cleary began to score at 12:41. After that, it was 5-1 after the first stanza and then 10-1 after the second.

The Crimson appeared unorganized during some of the game, but this was mainly because Tufts' inept skaters slapped and batted at the puck all the time. But when the Jumbos didn't interfere, the varsity pass plays did look slick.

Both Dick Fischer and Bob McVey scored two goals and assisted in two goals. Their third lineman, Dave Vietze, netted one and assisted twice.

Dick Reilly scored one on the third line with George Higgenbottom and Maurice Balboni, but the fourth line of Higgenbottom, Dave Holmes and Bill Collins did not score. John Copeland and Lyle Guttu also netted a goal each.

It was the varsity's eighth consecutive victory since losing to B.U. in the Bean-pot Tourney. The Crimson's record is now 17-3. Meanwhile, in Potsdam, N.Y., Clarkson extended its streak to 15 wins, beating the Terriers, 4-1. St. Lawrence had beaten B.U. the previous night, 7 to 3.