Varsity Swimming Team Downs Tigers, 62-24, Stays Undefeated

Yale Meet in Two Weeks

The Princeton team was reportedly up, and after a meet the day before, plus a six hour train shuffle, the Crimson was definitely down. But in the end it was business as usual, the varsity remaining emphatically undefeated, 62 to 24.

But with the Yale meet less than two weeks away, the Elis supplied some fatal perspective. Coach Bob Kiputh loaded Dan Cornwall, Dave Armstrong, Roger Anderson, and Rex Aubery into a 400-yard freestyle relay team that set an Intercollegiate record in 3:19.5, just a tenth of a second off the world mark..

In the Princeton meet, Jim Stanley swam way above himself to win the 200-yard butterfly in 2:31 plus; John Hammond, who was clocked in the low 2:20's against Dartmouth last week, did not swim for the varsity. Here, too, the Elis demanded a second thought, as Tim Jecko swam a 2:10 plus for Yale.

On the three-meter board, one place where the Crimson can have hope against Yale, Frank Gorman and Greg Stone finished second and third to the Tiger's Foot. Reliable reports indicate that this result might well easily been avoided.

Although Starkweather beat Stone in last year's Yale meet, Stone subsequently beat him soundly in the Easterns. This typifies the problem that Crimson coach Hal Ulen has had getting the divers primed for specific dual meets.

Princeton captain Ken Simons beat Dick Seaton in the 440-yard freestyle by a small margin. In the Tigers' wide pool, Seaton did not realize that Simons had failed to maintain the large lead which he had taken early in the race and varsity swimmers were unable to shout the information to him.

Successful shouting paid off in the 200-yard breaststroke, however, where Sigo Falk passed Dan Goethe with a spurt in the last yards. Goethe had been placed at the far edge of the pool as a sleeper, where Falk could not see him.

Crimson captain Chouteau Dyer won the 220 freestyle in 50.5. As in the Dartmouth meet, Dyer was slowed when he missed a turn by a fraction of an inch and paused to touch the wall.

Hammond won the 200-yard backstroke by a large margin, Dyer took the 220, and the varsity swept the 50. Harvard won the final relay