Elis Boycott Dinner After College Food Reported Poisoned

About four-fifths of the residents of Yale's Jonathan Edwards college boycotted the evening meal recently in one of Yale's largest dining hall revolts in years. The action was in response to wide-spread illness reportedly caused by food poisoning.

Over 100 students have been afflicted by varying degrees, and 20 have been admitted to the Infirmary.

A sign warning "Starve and live; the life you save may be your own" was placed over the entrance to the nearly deserted hall. The protests are aimed at the dining hall staff as well as the quality of University food.

Yale officials refuted the charges against the dining hall employees, but acknowledged that the epidemic was caused by bad food. Dr. John S. Hathaway, '24, director of the Yale Health Department, said it was likely that the germs had been "taken by mouth."

In addition to the 20 undergraduates in the infirmary, five members of the dining hall staff are also sick. Since the possibility of transmission by a member of the kitchen staff was not established, officials assumed that the disease was due to a particularly bad shipment of food.