Signs of Designs

Jose Luis Sert, Dean of the Graduate School of Design, whom President Pusey has appointed to supervise Harvard's growth, will be faced by one of the most remarkable collections of immiscible architecture and short-sighted community planning in the country. Architectural styles from Georgian to Victorian to Late Depression jostle each other in the Yard and elsewhere, and buildings are often placed in the most inconvenient and inaccessible arrangements conceivable. Dean Sert's task requires more than an attempt to avoid any further unfortunate arrangement. To him is entrusted the fearsome task of bringing order out of chaos.

Facing the monstrous confusion of Harvard architecture, however, Dean Sert will be hard put to achieve many constructive ends. He cannot find a more central location for classrooms than the Yard. But to revamp that center would require vacating many classrooms during the period of construction. Dean Sert is called upon to perform a minor miracle. The only encouraging aspect to his job is that it is the first time Harvard has even seen fit to employ a moderately scientific method of development. We hope it is not too late.