Dean of Public Health States School's Needs

Increased Endowment Of $2,500,000 Would Stabilize Faculty

The Graduate School of Public Health has set as its minimum endowments needs a $2.5 million increase over the present total of $6.1 million, Dean John C. Snyder declared in his annual report to President Pusey.

This is the amount required to maintain the level of unrestricted funds which the School had in the years 1946-49 and will permit the School to give permanent appointments to several faculty members which are teaching with temporary status at the present time.

Snyder also revealed that the School intended to revise its existing educational system by designing a curriculum primarily for doctoral degree candidates.

"Our primary objective will be the development and education of leaders in the sciences which are basic to public health. We hope to send out from the University a steady flow of men and women who have unusual ability and wisdom in one or more of the basic scieces." Snyder wrote.

The Dean also reiterated the School's great need for additional space to bring together activities "now taking place in rented or borrowed space outside the school." He speculated that such a project would necessitate the construction of a wing adjacent to the main building at 55 Shattuck St., which would cost approximately $3.8 million.

A major change in organization of School committees was made by combining the Committees on Curriculum and Development into a Committee on the Educational Program. This new group will examine existing courses with regards to content, overlap and omission and assist in the development of integrated courses in the light of the requirements of the newly expanded doctoral program.