One Last Glance at the Fall Term

By George H. Watson

Without being unduly pessimistic, one can easily conclude that the Fall Term might well be forgotten. As a case in point, the term had no sonner begun than Mr. Lloyd Jordan announced that he had adopted the "A" formation, which, as it developed, was understood to mean "awful." Then the University announced that it had taken the liberty of raising board rates $24 a year, and furthermore had inaugurated a camaign to squeeze students' cars into non-existent parking lots.

Even the CRIMSON was not free from administrative oppression. President Jordan of the Annex ruled that students could no longer compete in the CRIMSON-sponsored "Miss Radcliffe Contest," because the affair was "inconsistent with Radcliffe's pirde in the indivdualty and diversity of its students."

Among other inconsistencies ,of course, was the football team which managed to win only two of eight starts, but than no one seemed overly-interested in the gridiron. The Faculty Committee on Athletics was the notable exception, and Mr. Jordan was retired on the basis of "poor teaching," which many people took to mean an inability to win football games.

In the meantime, the University narrowly averted a strike of dining hall employees who felt their culinary efforts were unappreciated, and students continued their persistent complaints that Central Kitchen fare was sub-standard.

Pedagoguery did not come through the term unscathed either, and the English Department led the attack by dropping the Latin requirements for honors. The action was hardly unanimous, however, and Dean Elder, for example, commented, "I can only deplore the action," while others predicted the demise of Western civilization.

Professor Cherington, on the other hand, announced a plan to spread civilization to the hinterlands of New Hampshire, in particular to the obscure village of Peterborough. Naturalists were quick to see the advantage of the remove, and plans were underway for a neotranscendental revolt when President Pusey denied flatly that the University would ever forsake historic Cambridge.

Harvard in Houston

A similar plan in intent was discussed whereby the University would establish a sister institution to act as a sort of Harvard farm-club, and also to demonstrate the University's concern for the legion of war babies who are massing for an attack on colleges. Harvard in Houston, as the plan was called, never received the publicity of Mr. Cherington's, but public concern was equally apathetic.

And the problems of money, as the poor, we always had with us. The Student Council appeared to be the only solvent body around, with a revenue of over $5,000. The University, representing the opposite extreme, announced that it needed roughly $100 million, for which purpose it began a campaign called "A Program for Harvard College," which involves sacrificial gifts from alumni. Radcliffe promptly followed suit by announcing its need for ten million, and even M.I.T. admitted to being on the verge of bankruptcy.

With the fruits of the fund drive in mind, the University projected several new Houses, and for that purpose the Overseers visited Harvard to report on the prospects. According to the Overseers, the new House will resemble Mr. Gropius' Graduate Center, except that it will be soundproofed and perhaps have a parking lot underneath.

Of other misfortunes: Vested interests suffered when the Fly Club was threatened by the onslaught of commuters without an adequate center, and Councilman Velucci threatened to build an expressway through the Yard. The Faculty obstinately refused to allow students to type exams, and someone stole Mrs. Mrs. Brennans 30-pound cat.

The Term was long and tedious, and a review is even more so. The whole thing was summed up back in November by the Chief Storekeeper of the local ROTC unit. The Storekeeper, who practices the mystic art of Persian rugmaking, claimed that his insights into the future were "too frightening to reveal."

We have one prediction for the spring term, however, which must be expressed: President Nasser will seize the Ibis on the basis of ancient Egyption right