Interim: Sweet and Sour Goulash

In one of the most thrilling races of the B.A.A. meet Saturday, the freshman mile-relay team won its second race in two tries, as anchorman Art Cahn out-sprinted his Holy Cross opponent, to eke out a two-yard victory. Winning time was a creditable 3:28.3. Yale the third team entered in this race, scratched, leaving the Yardlings and the Crusader freshmen.

Brown's freshman hockey team registered a surprising 3 to 2 upset victory over the Yardling sextet on Saturday to break the Crimson's six-game winning streak. The win repaid a 5 to 1 defeat the Bruin freshmen had suffered against the Yardlings in January. Brown wing Dave Kelley tallied two goals to give his team a 3 to 1 lead with several minutes remaining in the game. Yardling center Mike Graney brought the freshmen to within one goal of the Bruins, but the strong Brown defense held the Crimson skaters at bay until the final Buzzer.

The freshman swimming team beat Andover Academy 43 to 34 Saturday night in a meet made somewhat closer than anticipated by surprising Andover strength in key events. Their strength was compounded by the interim layoff which made some Yardling times slower than usual. The freshmen will swim at Exeter next Saturday, seeking their third straight victory.

The freshmen "B" squash team, hindered by exams and vacation, was defeated by a hard playing Middlesex quintet, 4 to 1, in a match held last Saturday at Middlesex. Will Sutton fifth man, was the only match winner, defeating his opponent 3 to 2 by two points in the last game. Both the "A" and "B" teams will play matches this Saturday, when the "A" team plays Exeter at Exeter, and the "B" team meets Brooks at Hemingway at 2:30.

The J. V. basketball team won its fifth game in six tries Saturday night, easing by the Suffolk Teachers College freshman team, 61 to 60, in the closing seconds of play. Bruce Carlson threw in a basket with 15 seconds to go, to provide the victorious margin.