Brown Wrestlers Favored To Down Varsity Tonight

On the basis of comparative records, Brown rules a strong favorite to hand the varsity wrestling team its third consecutive defeat when the two teams meet at Providence at 8 p.m. tonight.

The Bruins, who are currently in second place in the Ivy Wrestling League, have won five of their seven starts, including a 15 to 11 victory over Princeton. Last Saturday the Tigers downed the varsity 15 to 11 to bring the Crimson record to five wins and three losses. Both teams lost of Springfield and Cornell, Brown by 14 to 12 and 20 to 6 margins respectively; the Crimson 17 to 11 and 19 to 8.

The Crimson's record in league competition is two wins and two losses. The varsity defeated Penn, 27 to 3, and Coloumbia, 15 to 11, while losing to Princeton and Cornell.

Brown's Smith Undefeated

Brown is led by undefeated co-captain Frank Smith at 137, co-captain Pete Roche at 147, sophomore George Seaver at 130, and John Alexander at 177. Weakest spots on an otherwise strong lineup are at 123 and 167, with Steve Howell and Tony Philippi. Lou Winner at 157, and heavyweight Gene Roberts complete the lineup.

According to Crimson coach Bob Pickett, this match should go somewhat like the past two, which found the meet decided in the heavyweight match. This would put it all up to the Crimson's Al Culbert.

Andrews to Wrestle

For the Crimson, Dave Skeels will wrestle at 123, while Paul Striker will be at 130. At 137, senior Phil Andrews will wrestle his first match of the year, filling in for Bob Crook, who is sidelined with a slight shoulder injury.

Joe Noble will be at 147, with King Holmes at 157. Bob Foster at 167 and Captain Bob Gilmor at 177 will both be shooting for their eighth wins of the season. Foster has gone unbeaten, tying one, while Gilmor has lost one. Culbert at heavyweight has a record of one win and two losses.

At 7 p.m. the freshman wrestlers will try for their fourth win, as against one loss, a 16 to 15 defeat by the Springfield freshmen.

The Brown freshmen have had one of their poorest season in years, losing their first five meets. Only Keith Eveland at 147, and heavyweight Art Giorgini have shown promise, both going undefeated through their five matches. Outside of these two positions, the Bruins have little to offer against the powerful Yardlings.

Coach Johnny Lee will send Bob Kozol against Mal Whittemore at 123, while captain John Watkins will meet Art Daller at 130.

Tom Bertone will wrestle 137, with John Vernaglia at 147 meeting Eveland. Newcomer Orrin Hein, recently recovered from an injury, will wrestle at 157 against Terry Case, with Steve Weddle meeting John Moyle at 167. Pete Rogers will return to the 177 spot after an illness, with undefeated Ted Robbins meeting undefeated Giorgini at heavyweight, in what shapes up as the most interesting match of the evening.