Ford Foundation Publishes Its '56 Gifts to Harvard

The University received a total of $899,000 in grants from the Ford Foundation during the 1956 fiscal year for research and teacher training, the Foundation has announced.

In addition, Sheldon Glueck, Roscoe Pound Professor of Law, and Eleanor T. Glueck, Research Associate in Criminology, have been partially supported by Foundation funds. They have been assisting the Youth Board Research Institute of New York in a study of methods of early indentification and treatment of potential delinquents.

The Law School received the largest grant, $500,000, to educate legal instructors. This instruction is part of the Foundation's program to improve national legal education and public leadership. Two-hundred thousand dollars was given the University for individual professor ships to promote research on public leadership and political institutions.

The Foundation allotted $77,000 to the University for research in the behavioral sciences. Part of this sum was tabbed for research efforts on models for learning, and studies on imagination and learning.

These grants to the University were part of a $27.1 million Ford Foundation outlay, in the areas of mental health research and the behavioral sciences; public affairs; and economics and business administration. Another Foundation announcement will shortly describe its international program.

Recommended Articles

Liberating the Social Sciences
Many scholars see government subsidies as a two-pronged threat to academic independence. Recalling the Lysenko case in the Soviet Union
Three University Researchers Win $25,000 Fellowships
Three Harvard professors are among the 90 recipients of this year's Sloan Foundation Research Fellowships, which are awarded to young
Harvard Receives 800K Grant
The MacArthur Foundation has awarded Harvard an $800,000 grant to fund further research into parasitic diseases, the foundation announced last
Internal Revenue Dept. Ponders Fellowship Tax
Fellowships may be taxed next year. The Treasury Department, on advice of the Bureau of Internal Revenue, has ruled that
The CFIA A Defense
IN RESPONSE to the CRIMSON request for an article, I want to make three points in the space allotted: First:
New University Foundation Will Aid Five Grad Schools
Plans for a new Harvard Foundation for Advanced Study and Research to aid graduate and professional schools were announced by