Heckscher Cops Individual Crown In Squash Meet

Top seeded Ben Heckscher won his second consecutive Intercollegiate Squash Championship yesterday to climax one of the finest squash careers ever turned in by a Harvard player. He defeated Navy's John Griffiths, seeded fourth, 12-15, 15-7, 15-10, 15-7, in the finals.

In the semifinals, the Crimson's Cal Place lost to Griffiths after playing the role of upsetter in the previous rounds, and Heckscher defeated Dartmouth's third seeded Dick Hoehn. These performances, coupled with Charlie Mac Veagh's play in the earlier rounds, gave Harvard its second consecutive team championship.

The Crimson captain was slightly off his game, but after some slight initial difficulties with Griffiths' crushing smash service in the first game, he was in complete control of the match. It was a perfect example of touch, power and court control overcoming the pure power game.

Heckscher held the center of the court with amazing consistency, and drove Griffiths around the court with his sharp expertly placed drives, corner shot and drop shots. Although his usual razor sharp accuracy was slightly below par, Heckscher had too many guns for his Navy opponent.

In the team division, Harvard completely dominated play, placing three men in the quarterfinals, two men in the semifinals, and Heckscher in the finals. Probably the most notable Crimson performance was turned in by Place.

In the round of 16, Place defeated Princeton's Ramsey Vehslage, seeded seventh in the tourney, 15-11, 15-12, 11-15, 12-15, 15-11, and in the quarterfinals he upset William's second seeded Ollie Stafford, 15-11, 7-15, 10-15, 15-10, 16-13.

MacVeagh also played an excellent match when he defeated Navy's fifthseeded player. Tom Clark in the round of sixteen, 15-11, 17-15, 12-15, 17-15. In the quarterfinals, MacVeagh bowed to Hoehn, 15-9, 15-10, 15-7.