Colleges Prohibit Speech by Editor Of Daily Worker

The administrations of five New York City colleges have voted not to allow John Gates, editor of The Daily Worker, to speak on their campuses.

The presidents of City Colleges, Hunter, Queens, Brooklyn, and the Staten Island Community College took the action Tuesday at a meeting of the schools' administrative council.

Gates originally had been invited to speak at an Academic Freedom Week program by the Queens College student senate, but Thomas V. Garvey, provost of the college, cancelled the invitation last Sunday.

After Garvey's action, however, the Student Government Public Affairs Forum of City College issued an invitation to Gates. This invitation was the one which brought the administrations together in opposing the Communist editor.

The presidents said: "There is complete agreement among the five administrative council members in our unequivocal condemnation of communism."

The council also pointed out that since May, 1950, it had refused the use of campuses to persons under indictment for any reason or awaiting appeal, and that "we are now of one mind in refusing to extend campus courtesies to persons convicted under the Smith Act."