Varsity Six Arrives in Colorado; NCAA Tourney to Open Tonight

Faces Michigan Friday

By James W. B. benkard, (Special to the CRIMSON)

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo., March 13--The stage was set for the tenth annual NCAA Hockey Tournament when the three visiting teams--Harvard, Michigan, and Clarkson--arrived here tonight.

Colorado College, the host team and tournament favorite, will play Clarkson at the Broadmoor Ice Palace tomorrow night in the opening game of the tourney.

All three of the visiting teams arrived in the same airplane, on a trip which began at Boston's Logan Airport early this morning. The Crimson boarded a chartered United Airlines DC-6 at Logan, picked up the Clarkson team at Syracuse, and the Michigan team at Willow Run, Michigan.

Unlike two years ago, the trip was a smooth one, and both the morale and the digestion of the Crimson team are excellent.

Colorado Springs' plush Broadmoor Hotel finances the traveling accommodations of the three teams, gives them free board and lodging throughout the tournament, and provides the traditional Western hoop-la that the tourney affords. Although some feel that this is a publicity maneuver which does not speak well for amateur hockey, one observer expressed today what is perhaps the prevalent opinion of the participating teams: "Everyone has a good time, and besides, if it wasn't for the Broadmoor, there wouldn't be any tournament at all."

Eighteen Players on Trip

Crimson coach Cooney Weiland has brought along a squad of 18 players, comprised of 11 linemen, two defenses, and two goalies. First line wingman Paul Kelley, who cracked a bone above his knee a week ago, is along for the ride but will not play.

Among the others on the trip were Dean Watson (along as an "observer"), and Duke Nelson, Middlebury hockey coach and a member of the Eastern NCAA Selection Committee.