25th Anniversary Program Begins At Leverett Today

Leverett House will mark its 25th anniversary with a four-day program of events starting today. The celebration will be highlighted by a concert and symposium, both free and open to the public.

Speakers at the symposium on "The University and the Public Life," will be James B. Reston, chief Washington correspondent of the New York Times, and Walt Whitman Rostow, of the Center for International Studies at M.I.T. The discussion, moderated by Mark DeWolfe Howe '28, professor of Law, will be held in the dining hall at 8 p.m. Monday.

A concert by the Cambridge Festival Orchestra, conducted by Daniel R. Pinkham, Jr. '44, will be held in the dining hall at 8:30 p.m. Sunday. The program will include works by two former House members, Pinkham and Robert Moevs '42, as well as by Pezel, Bach, Mendelssohn, Abel, and Purcell.

Also participating in the concert will be the Harvard Brass Choir, conducted by Thomas B. Cox '57, and the Leverett House Glee Club.

Dance Opens Celebration

The celebration opens tonight with a formal dance for House members and their guests, and will conclude Tuesday evening with a banquet for students, staff, and special guests, including former House residents.

Leigh Hoadley, Master of Leverett House, said that the program, which will "try to express the various kinds of things the House can do as a unit," would be paid for out of the $1400 grant made by the Ford Foundation to each of the Houses.

The House was opened in 1931, with Kenneth B. Murdock '16, Francis Lee Higginson Professor of English Literature, as Master. Hoadley succeeded him as Master in 1941. Murdock will be unable to attend the celebration, since he is at present on a leave of absence in Switzerland.

The House was named in honor of John Leverett, who graduated from the College in 1680, and was a tutor, lawyer and judge before becoming President of Harvard in 1708.