Winthrop Is a Versatile House

Rooms available in Winthrop next year include: 16 doubles ($150-275 per man per half year); 20 triples ($185-235); 11 quads ($160-225); 2 vacancies in a 7-man suite.

Despite its current appellation as the "Jock" House, Winthrop remains one of the most versatile yet homogeneous houses at Harvard.

Winthrop's members almost without exception enjoy their House. Whether because ninety per cent of its members chose Winthrop as their first preference, or because the hot-bed fervor so prominent in some other houses is never consciously promoted in Winthrop, dissatisfaction is virtually unknown.

Master Ronald M. Ferry '12 is proud of the policy of spontaneous generation which has characterized the House ever since its inception in 1931. And precisely because Winthrop has been built from the roots rather than from imposition and incitement from above, its members feel a belonging which they themselves have participated in creating.

Winthrop's tutorial staff, headed by Allston Burr Senior Tutor Albert A. Mavrinac, is gradually becoming a more integral force in House activities, helping to found science, choral, language, and economics groups. Each Wednesday evening the resident tutors, together with any House members who choose to come, gather in the Senior Common Room to chat and sip sherry.

Entry parties take place early in the fall term, with each resident tutor acting as host to the undergraduates in his entry. In some instances, inter-entry athletic rivalries have sprung up with individual tutors as active participants, further solidifying the tutor-student relationship and abetting the balance between student and athlete.

Scholastically, Winthrop has improved to the point where its nickname is now anachronistic. Last year, two of its members received Rhodes Scholarships, and this year three of its seniors are Phi Betes. Coincidentally, at the end of last term Winthrop House had fewer members on unsatisfactory standing than any of the other houses.

Along with this steady rise in scholastic achievement, Winthrop has introduced innovations such as the Economics section meeting in the House itself, and a weekly Economics Table.

House Functions

The House theatricals, a Christmas play and a spring musical, this year "The Pirates of Penzance" now in rehearsal, have received more financial backing than in the past, resulting in increased House participation. A play-reading group has been established within the last two years, and plans are already under way among a few students and tutors to present more drama next year.

Socially, the regular run of House dances is supplemented by frequent mixers, notably one with Wellesley early in the fall, general outings, and this year a splash party in the I.A.B. Throughout the year, special House dinners are often arranged followed by such speakers as U.S. Senator Leverett Saltonstall, Robert E. Sherwood and Joseph Alsop in recent years. This year, Senator John F. Kennedy, an ex-Winthrop House member, will speak at the Senior Dinner.

Winthrop finished second last year in the Straus Trophy competition and once again this year is just ten points out of first place as its athletic teams continue to place well.

Unfortunately, this is Master Ferry's last year at Winthrop since he, the last of the original house masters, is retiring at the completion of this semester. David E. Owen, professor of History, in whom Master Ferry expresses sincere confidence, will oversee Winthrop beginning next fall. Owen will note that although there exist few pseudo-bohemian sorts, most types are represented among the Winthrop members. The average Winthrop Man is pleased with his challenging and diversified association with his House, which allows him an allegiance while never imposing on his privacy as an individual.