Conant Will Make Keynote Talk for Summer Forums

James Bryant Conant '14, President Emeritus of the University, will deliver the opening address of the Summer School's three-day conference on "The Teaching of the Nature of Communism," on July 15-17.

Conant, who recently resigned as U.S. Ambassador to West Germany, will draw on his background as an educator and on his experiences in dealing with Russian Communist officials during his nearly four years in Germany.

Other speakers will summarize current social studies curricula and work out a philosophical and practical framework for action in an effort to place the problem of education on communism in historical perspective.

About 25 educators, government officials, and others will discuss the need for an organized national effort to enable American youth better to evaluate the struggle between communism and democracy. They will also consider the view-points and problems related to the practical application of such an educational program.

The other major aspect of the summer program will concern the role of political geography in the international utilization of basic natural resources.