M.I.T. Men at Riot Arraigned Before Cambridge Court

The weekend rioting along Memorial Drive had long since died, when 29 M.I.T. students and one from Yale were arraigned in Cambridge District Court yesterday on charges of rioting, assaulting policemen, disturbing the peace, and using profanity. All pleaded innocent.

At the request of defense counsel, the cases of 24 of the Tech students were continued until March 12. The cases of the other five will be tried on Friday. The Institute has undertaken to hire counsel for these five, who apparently were not active participants in the riots.

Three Council Members

Of this group, three are members of the student council and were allegedly attempting to restore order, one was present as a reporter for the student newspaper, and the fifth was arrested as he stepped from his parents' car into the midst of the disturbance.

In addition to the court proceedings, the Tech students will probably face disciplinary action from the Institute itself. The matter will be initially handled by the Student Judicial Committee, which will then make recommendations to the Faculty Discipline Committee.

Meanwhile, City Councilor Al Vellucci threatened to raise M.I.T.'s tax assessment to pay for the damage caused by the rioting but made no formal motion in the council.