Worthy to Report Tonight On Red China Experience

Nieman Fellow

William Worthy, the American journalist who spent 41 days behind the Bamboo Curtain, will speak at 8:00 p.m. tonight in New Lecture Hall. The title of his speech is "Report From Red China."

Sponsored by the CRIMSON and the American Friends Service Committee, the speech is free and open to the public. Worthy will be introduced by Professor John K. Fairbank of the Far Eastern Research Center.

One of the three newspapermen who violated the State Department ban on travel in Communist China, Worthy received editorial support for his action from virtually every influential newspaper in the United States.

Worthy and two Look Magazine correspondents still face possible legal action and passport revocation because of their disregard of the State Department edict that their passports were invalid in Red China.

On Monday a week ago, Worthy applied for renewal of his passport, a procedure which ordinarily takes two weeks. His present passport expired yesterday.

Worthy reported on his experiences in China for the Baltimore Afro-American, CBS Radio News, and the New York Post. Previously, he had covered the Bandung Conference and written a series of stories on Africa.

Currently a Nieman Fellow, in the University, Worthy was educated at Bates College, Maine. At present he is studying government and participating in civil rights discussions at the Law School.