Overseers to View Changes In Curricula

Studies, Motivation To Be Considered

By George H. Watson

The Overseer's Committee to Visit Harvard College will arrive in Cambridge next Tuesday to study possible changes in the undergraduate curriculum.

The Committee is made up of the same men who last year recommended that the College build three new Houses to relieve overcrowding and allow for expansion over the next ten years.

John U. Monro, Director of the Financial Aid Office and secretary to the Committee pointed out that the group would not necessarily make specific recommendations for curriculum changes, but only explore the various problems of educational policy facing the Administration.

Monro said that the Committee would be concerned with both the freshman and upper class curriculum. He suggested that possible areas of discussion would include an appraisal of the course system, the function of reading period, the values of tutorial and general examinations, advanced standing, and various issues of student motivation.

Rockefeller Heads Committee

Next week will be the third occasion that the Committee has visited the College, but the first time that the group has been mainly concerned with purely qualitative issues rather than primarily with the problems of numbers.

David Rockefeller '36 will again serve as Chairman of the Committee which includes John W. Hallowell '31, Lawrence Terry '22, Arthur Ballantine, Jr. '04, John Mason Brown '23, Everett Case '27, William H. Cornog, James A. Field, Jr. '37, Marshall Field, Jr. '38, Barklie Henry '24, John F. McNeill and Harper Wood-ward '31.

The Tuesday meeting will probably be the last time the Committee will meet.

Monro said that the committee was not bound to make a report as it had done with expansion problems, but possibly it would do so.