Ike Lauds British Arms Cutback Despite United NATO Opposition; Allies May Reopen China Trade

WASHINGTON, April 10--Great Britain's decision to reduce and streamline its far-flying armed forces was applauded by President Eisenhower today as an example of "courage and nerve."

He made clear he was not alarmed at the drastic defense cutbacks even though he acknowledged they have "disturbed some of our NATO partners."

Eisenhower told a news conference British leaders in effect had no alternative but to slash defense spending in view of Britain's post-war economic problems.

British manpower is to be cut by almost 50 per cent, down to 375,000 men, within the next five years under the plan which includes reduction of troops in Korea, Libya and West Germany.

The remaining forces will be geared to atomic-hydrogen warfare with piloted aircraft eventually replaced by guided missles.

U.S. Curbs Remain

WASHINGTON, April 10--President Eisenhower gave a sympathetic boost today to allies who want to relax curbs on trade with Red China--especially the Japanese.

Britain and Japan, both in economic straits and hungry for trade, have been casting an eye at the Red China market. The United States' policy, banning all American trade with Red China and keeping pressure on its allies to withhold from Red China any goods which could be used for war, remains unchanged.

Recommended Articles

GOP's Bauer Blasts U.S. China Policy
Long-shot Republican presidential candidate Gary Bauer attacked the Clinton administration's China trade policy at a forum on the 10th anniversary
Gore Unveils Foreign Policy Goals in Boston Address
BOSTON--On the 25th anniversary of the fall of Saigon, a presidential candidate and veteran of the Vietnam War outlined his
China and Foreign Devils
C HINA IS A piece of meat," Sun Yat-sen once said. "And the whole world wants to take a bit
Khrushchev Warns Communists To Resolve Questions Peacefully; Eisenhower Renews Steel Talks
TOKYO, Sept. 30--Nikita Khrushchev told China's leaders in Peiping last night, "We on our part must do everything possible to
Eisenhower Calls for Quick Ban On Surface Nuclear Explosions; Red China Criticizes Dalai Lama
AUGUSTA, Ga., April 20--President Eisenhower, striving to smash a deadlock, has appealed to Soviet Premier Khrushchev for a quick ban
Labor Unions Question China Ties
The age-old question of whether the U.S. and China should trade freely will be getting a fresh look as the