Crimson Baseball Team Overcomes M.I.T. Nine, 13-7

By Adam Clymer

The Crimson baseball team demonstrated an effective attack yesterday, but left its supporters in doubt about its pitching as it beat M.I.T., 13 to 7.

Three hurlers worked as the Crimson went after its third straight Greater Boston League title, and although Bob McGinnis got the win, only finisher Dave Brigham was really effective against the Engineers.

On the other hand, the offense displayed fine form, as its 11 hits took good advantage of a like number of bases on balls and assorted passed balls and wild pitches. Captain John Simourian reached base safely five times, on two singles, a double, and two walks, and Matt Bots-ford and Bob Hastings each drove in three runs.

The team worked well in the field, committing only one error, though that one led to a run in the sixth. It was the pitching that produced problems.

Brigham pitched the last three innings, holding Tech scoreless on one hit, walking two and fanning two. In no inning did more than one man reach base against him.

Joel Bernstein started, and while he appeared to have good stuff, he couldn't find the plate, throwing nine straight balls in the first inning. He pitched out of that frame with only one score against him, but when he walked the first two men in the second inning, Coach Norm Shepard took him out. He was charged with three runs, all earned, on no hits and five passes, with one strikeout.

McGinnis followed him, and after permitting Bernstein's two runners to score, settled down until the fifth, when he walked three men before a bases-clearing double brought them home. He also gave up an unearned run in the sixth. In five full innings he allowed four runs, three earned, on five hits and five passes, while striking out three.

After M.I.T. scored once in the first, the Crimson tied the count in its half of the inning. Tech went ahead, 3 to 1, in the second, but the winners added three unearned tallies in their half with the help of an error and a two-out single by Bob Cleary.

Tech pitcher Frank Henrick was wild in the next frame, and the Crimson scored four runs on one hit to take an 8 to 3 lead. Simourian and Hastings walked and Botsford singled Simourian home. Botsford went to second on a passed ball, and then John Getch walked. A wild pitch scored Hastings. After Walt Stahura flied out, Phil Haughey, who hit the ball hard all day, brought both Botsford and Getch home with a deep sacrifice fly to left.

The Crimson added three more in the fourth, with Hastings' wind-blown triple the key blow, and two in the fifth to complete its scoring.

This, incidentally, was opening day, though one couldn't tell it. No crowds or bands were on hand as the teams played for three hours in weather that was at first chilly and then downright cold. The crowd was sparse, perhaps 60 or so, but the team at least was enthusiastic and hustled all the way, and can look forward hopefully to Saturday's encounter with Boston University here. Dom Repetto will probably pitch.

The box score:     ab  r  h  rbi Bergantino, 3b  4  1  1  0 Shue, ph, 3b  1  0  0  0 Cleary, 2b  2  3  1  2 Harrington, 2b  1  0  0  0 Simourian, 1b  3  2  3  1 Hastings, ss  3  2  2  3 Botsford, rf  4  1  1  3 Getch, 1f  2  1  1  0 Fisher, 1f  1  0  0  0 Stahura, cf  5  1  2  0 Haughey, c  3  1  0  2 Bernstein, p  0  0  0  0 McGinnis, p  2  1  0  0 Hathaway, ph  1  0  0  0 Brigham, p  0  0  0  0 Totals  32  13  11  11