Mail Deliveries Cancelled Today Although Committee Votes Funds; Senate to Probe U.S. Finances

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, April 12--A weekend moratorium on almost all U.S. mail services goes into effect at midnight tonight.

Although the House Appropriations Committee gave in to Postmaster General Summerfield's demands for more operating funds today and recommended and extra 41 million dollars, Summerfield said his economy cutbacks "must go into effect as scheduled."

This means that all 38,000 U.S. Post Offices will be closed to the public Saturday and Sunday and no mail will be delivered until Monday except that bearing special delivery stamps. The ban on mail deliveries includes newspapers.

Committee to Investigate Nation's Finances

Washington, April 12--A large-scale investigation of the nation's financial condition, including taxes, interest charges and debt, was voted unanimously by the Senate Finance Committee today in a surprise move.

The probe appeared to have political overtones. Some Democrats on the committee said it would center on "tight money" and described it as the answer to President Eisenhower's call earlier this year for a study of monetary and fiscal policies.

The President asked that this be made by an independent commission.

House Committee Cuts U.S.I.A. Funds

WASHINGTON, April 12--Overriding a last minute plea from President Eisenhower, the House Appropriations Committee today whacked $37,900,000 from the 144-million-dollar budget of the U.S. Information Agency.

The committee then dealt a blow of similar proportions at the State Department's $227,714,552 new money budget for the year starting July 1. The State Department's figure was chopped to $180,382,743, a cut of almost 21 per cent.