Repetto Slated to Pitch As Crimson Nine Plays BU

By Richard T. Cooper

If the pitching staff can pull itself together after a shaky experience with M.I.T. last Thursday, only the weather should remain between the Crimson baseball team and its second straight Greater Boston League victory. Boston University will have to hope for an upset.

Dom Repetto is scheduled to start for the varsity, at 3 p.m. on Soldiers Field.

On the rain-soaked Southern trip, Repetto went five innings against Mary-land, striking out three, walking none, and allowing two runs, of which one was earned.

Phil Haughey will again be behind the plate. Although coach Norman Shepard earlier experimented with Matt Botsford, presumably to bolster the varsity's batting attack, Haughey strengthened his position Thursday by getting one hit and two runs batted in on three times at bat.

(In practice yesterday Haughey and Botsford found themselves in the same battery; this time with Botsford on the mound.)

The remainder of the varsity lineup will remain unchanged: Tom Bergantino will lead off at third base, Bob Cleary will hit and play second, and captain John Simourian will bat third and play first base. Shortstop Bob Hastings will hit clean-up.

John Getch will bat fifth and play left, followed by Botsford in right field, and Walt Stahura in center. Repetto will follow.

Even though rain robbed the varsity of valuable practice in the South, the defense was sure against M.I.T., committing only one error.

Offensively, the varsity totaled 11 hits, led by Simourian, Botsford and Hastings. With an equal number of bases on balls, plus an assortment of passed balls and wild pitches, the Crimson effectively parlayed the 11 hits into 13 runs against the Engineers.

At M.I.T. this afternoon, Adolph Samborski's freshman team will open its season. Although Samborski has been quiet about his probable lineup, Jerry Emmet, Dave Kipp, and Renny Johnson are likely to divide the 1:30 p.m. contest on the mound. Bill Cunningham and Sham McGrady are possible alternates.