University Gets $425,000 In Ford Foundation Gifts

From January to March

The Ford Foundation has recently announced grants to the University totaling over $400,000 during the period January through March. In addition, the Foundation has given more than $1 million to four other educational programs in which Harvard is participating.

Largest of the direct University grants was the $300,000 given for support of the Center for Middle Eastern Studies. The remainder of the money earmarked for Harvard will be used in research projects: $125,000 for "programoriented research" in economics and administration and $4250 for work in the behavioral sciences.

A Foundation grant of $800,000 to the University of Chicago will support the inter-university program for visiting scholars from Asia and the Near East which was set up about a month ago. Chicago, Columbia, the University of California at Berkeley, and Harvard are conducting the program together.

A grant of $176,500 will support an inter-university program in Near Eastern language teaching in which Harvard is one of five members.

Trade Unionist Grant

Another gift of $25,000 will help to enable European trade unionists to participate in the University's Trade Union Program.

Finally, the University Press will share in a gift of $305,300 to 30 such organizations "in order to stimulate scholarly publication in the humanities and social sciences."