Four College Seniors Awarded Wilson Education Scholarships

Princeton Gets Fourteen

Four College seniors are among the 302 students who have been awarded Woodrow Wilson fellowships for a year of post-graduate study in preparation for careers in college teaching.

The winners, the graduate schools they will attend, and their fields of study are Arnold M. Goldman '57, of Adams House and Swampscott, Mass., English at Princeton; Frank R. Safford '57, of Eliot House and El Paso, Texas, U.S. History at Columbia; Michael D. Tanzer '57, of Leverett House and New York City, Economics at MIT; and David S. Wiesen '57, of Lowell House and New York City, Classical Philosophy at Princeton.

Sponsored by the Association of Graduate Schools, the program has been financed by grants from the Carnegie Corporation and the General Education Board totaling $1,000,000.

The Wilson awards for the coming year have been divided among 224 men and 78 women, and have an approximate total value of $604,000, including more than $100,000 in institutional grants-in-aid.

Fourteen from Princeton

Princeton captured top honors among the 149 schools represented, accounting for 14 fellowships. Next was the University of Michigan with seven, followed by a group of colleges including Yale, Cornell, and the University of Chicago, with six awards each. Harvard placed one less than the University of North Carolina.

The fellowships have been designed "to provide students who have completed their undergraduate education with an opportunity to determine whether they wish to enter careers in teaching and scholarship."