College-Wide Referendum On NSA to Be Held Today

A three-hour debate on the topic "Should the Harvard Student Council continue its membership in the National Student Association" elicited widely differing responses from a panel of six students and a small audience in Emerson Hall last night.

A College-wide referendum will be held today in order to determine over-all student opinion on the matter.

The three panel members who supported the affirmative side of the question, Reginald Green 2G, Luigi Einaudi '57, and carl Sapers 2L, cited Harvard's responsibility as one of the world's leading universities, to take an active role in international student affairs.

Einaudi declared that Harvard has a "duty" to help fight off the advances of "the Communist bogeyman" among students in other countries.

The speakers for the negative side, Merom Brachman '58, Marc Leland '59, and Theodore Moskowitz '58, approached the problem from a somewhat different point of view, by asking repeatedly what the NSA had to offer to the Harvard student body.

Too Much Talking Charged

They contended that the subjects discussed at NSA Congresses were of little interest to Harvard since "we operate in a more mature atmosphere" than is found in most midwestern state universities."

Moskowitz accused the NSA conferences of doing too much talking and not enough in the way of concrete action. He pointed out that at last summer's national congress, 18 of 30 resolutions passed were merely "commendatory" in nature. "We congratulated Sudan on establishing a university declared for free speech, and decided that international student cooperation was a good thing," Moskowitz said.