Tennis Team Defeats M.I.T., 15-0, as Depth Shows Impressively

It's always a good thing to open the season against M.I.T. in almost any sport, and tennis is certainly no exception. Yesterday, the Crimson downed the Engineers 15-0 on the Soldiers Field Courts, without losing a single set in the process.

It was almost a case of how many games the varsity players wanted to lose, and most of them were reluctant to give up more than four games in the course of a match. The only two M.I.T. men to extend their matches were Dick Hough, who carried Steve Gottlieb to 7-5, 6-2, at second singles, and Bob Kenefick, who bowed 8-6, 6-1, to Larry Sears in the third position.

At first singles, Eastern Intercollegiate Champion Dale Junta completely outclassed Jeff Winicour, 6-1, 6-1. Junta's game was both too powerful and too accurate for the M.I.T. player.

Decisive defeat was pretty much the order of the day, as Cal Place, captain Ian Gianetti, and Phil Mills all won easy victories at fourth, fifth and six singles respectively.

Perhaps the most encouraging part of this Crimson victory, however, was the performance of the bottom players on the ladder. Al Goldman, Jim Cameron, Ned Weld and Pete Krogh were very impressive in registering wins at seventh, eighth, ninth, and tenth singles, but the important part of their performance came in combining to defeat the number one and two M.I.T. doubles teams.

The depth which was apparent in these matches showed that the Crimson would have more than Junta's individual brilliance to count on during the course of the season. The varsity will be very deep and should provide rough competition for any team it faces this year.

Freshmen Win

An exceptionally powerful freshman tennis team duplicated the varsity's shutout effort, defeating the M.I.T. freshmen, 9 to 0. No Yardling player dropped more than four games in his match, and the quality of play shown by Tim Gallwey, Fred Vinton, Denny Briggs and Dick Chute at first through fifth singles indicated that these players will be able to make important contributions to the varsity next year