Winthrop House Honors Ferrys With Farewell Dinner, Presents

The last of the original masters and his wife were the guests of honor at a farewell dinner and concert tendered them by the staff and students of Winthrop House last evening. Master Ronald M. Ferry '12 and Mrs. Ferry will retire this June to a new home in Concord after having headed Winthrop House devotedly ever since its completion in 1931.

The chairman of the House Committee announced at the dinner the presentation by the undergraduate residents of a portrait of Mrs. Ferry to the House and a portrait of the House to Mrs. Ferry. Earlier this year the House alumni commissioned a portrait of Master Ferry and his dog, which has just been hung in the Junior Common Room.

Rupert Emerson, professor of Government, who has been an associate of the House from the beginning, presented the Ferrys with a collection of some 50 or 60 LP recordings as the gift of the past and present members of the House staff, many of whom were in attendance last night.

The Ferrys were festively serenaded during the meal by Renaissance music for brass choir, assisted by the chorus of the House Music Society. After the dinner, the Ferrys and guests heard a concert in the Senior Common Room appropriately given over to a complete performance of Brahms' "Love Song Waltzes," Op. 52, for vocal quartet and piano duet. Before the meal, the Ferrys were guests at two receptions in the House.