Burke Seeks Aid of Unions For Students

The Student Employment Office hopes to gain Massachusetts AFL-CIO support for its large-scale program in student construction work this summer, Director Dustin M. Burke disclosed yesterday.

Burke noted that the office is planning negotiations with unions in New York and New England, especially in eastern Massachusetts where almost all of the hiring for construction work is regulated by union collective bargaining agreements.

He is currently seeking high-level AFL-CIO endorsement of a plan whereby a student might join a union and pay the initiation fee only after receiving a few weeks' pay on the job.

Although students will still have to deal individually with business agents of the member unions, general home office approval of the plan would greatly improve the dispositions of the member unions toward accepting students, Burke added.

He said that students will have to deal with the business agents because of varying union policies concerning initiation fees and the specific business conditions in each industry.

$50 Fee

Estimating the average union initiation fee at $50 in eastern Massachusettts, Burke explained that students are generally unwilling to pay the costs unless they are assured of jobs.

The SEO is presently negotiating with the home office of the Hod Carriers Union, an organization of semi-skilled laborers. Burke expressed particular interest in reaching agreement with business agents in unskilled labor unions.

In sections of the country where contractors do their own hiring, the office has already established contacts, mainly with regional offices of the Association of General Contractors.