Eleven New History Courses Announced

The History Department will offer 11 new courses for next year, acting chairman Oscar Handlin, professor of History, affirmed last night.

Nine of the new courses will concern Medieval Europe and Modern Europe, two of the five special fields within the department. No new courses have been announced in either American History or Ancient History.

In medieval European history, George H. Williams, John H. Morison Professor of Church History, will lecture in Church History 101a, "Ancient Church History from 150 to 500," and 101b, which continues the topic from 500 to 1350. Both half courses will be given at the Divinity School.

Also in the field of Medieval Europe, George C. Homans '32, professor of Sociology, will give History 117, "English Social History, 400-1642." The course has been scheduled for the fall term.

Samuel E. Thorne, professor of Legal History, will lecture in History 118, "English Legal History," a fall-term half-course, which will be given at the Law School.

In modern European history, Visiting Professor Pieter Geyl of the University of Utrecht will lecture on the "History of the French Revolution," in History 146c. Handlin described Geyl last night as "probably the leading historian of Holland."

History of France

His course will replace History 146b, "History of France, 1715-1815," next year, now taught by C. Crane Brinton, McLean Professor of Ancient and Modern History. Brinton will take a leave of absence next year.

Franklin L. Ford, associate professor of History, will give History 150, "History of Germany since 1648." The course will run throughout the year, but students will be able to take either semester separately as a half course. Another new course to be offered next year is History 152b, "The History of Italy since 1860."

Another new course in modern European history will be History 153, "History of German Thought from Kant to Spengler," to be given in the spring term. The course will be taught by Claus W. Epstein '48, assistant professor of History and will feature Hegel as the central figure in the course.

In the field of Asia, Africa, and Australia, Andrew D. Osborn will give History 179, "History of South Africa." The course will concentrate on South Africa as a "laboratory of human relationships." Richard N. Frye, associate professor of Middle Eastern Studies, will lecture on the "History of Iran from 1500 A.D." in History 188.

In a minor course revision, John J. Conway, assistant professor of History, will alter the scope of his course, History 173, "The History of Canada."